Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Merfolk

Forget everything bad I've said about Merfolk.

I'm on the fish train, and I'm not looking back. They're possibly the most fun I've had playing Magic in the last few months, without exception, and I'm not even a little ashamed of saying it.

I played in a local even last night, which is set up in such a way that going X-1 basically eliminates you from the prize pool. None of us are very happy with the single elim style event, but it's the way the store runs it to keep it under 10 hours. The store is in a mall, and they have a pretty firm time they need to close the shop up. Anyway, here's the list I played:

3 Wasteland
4 Mutavault
1 Dust Bowl
4 Island
3 Tropical Island
6 fetches

4 Cursecatcher
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merrow Reejerey
2 Wake Thrasher
2 Cold-Eyed Selkie
4 Tarmogoyf

4 Aether Vial
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
3 Stifle

SB
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Krosan Grip
3 Sower of Temptation
2 Seasinger
1 Umezawa's Jitte

First of all, card availability was an issue in some of my card choices. I had to scrape together some things at the last minute, because I really only decided to play the deck about two hours before the event, and didn't have a lot of people coming to borrow cards from. I would have liked Standstill in the deck, and the Dust Bowl should obviously be the 4th Wasteland. I didn't ever get a Wake Thrasher or Selkie in play, so I'd like to see them in action before I really judge them, but they may not be needed if I have Goyf (which was ALWAYS smaller than Cursecatcher) and Standstill. Other than that, however, the deck is much more solid than I expected it to be, even against decks not running blue. I'm concerned about the "red deck" matchup - Burn, Sleigh, and Zoo, but I'm still playing with options for them. Possibly Chill, or Kira, Great Glass Spinner. I think I'm going to play this for a time, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment