Thursday, February 12, 2009

Changes to EDH

Apparently, Pat "The Innovator" Chapin posted an EDH list that was strikingly similar, yet shittier, than mine.  I'm kinda bummed that he'd rip off a list from mine and make it worse, but it falls in line with a long history of pros "improving" things that they have no idea about.

Stick to your fortes, pros.  We don't really need any more Chrome Moxen in Solidarity.  Or should I say "Reset High Tide?"

Anyway, I've made a few changes to my list.  Here's what I've got:

- Prosperity
- Mind Spring
- Brain Freeze
- Island
+ Fatestitcher
+ Glen Elendra Archmage
+ Master Transmuter
+ Reliquary Tower

And here's why - Prosperity and Mind Spring both fall into the category of cards I'm always dissapointed to see.  They both require too much mana investment to play, although Mind Spring is generally the better card.  Prosperity is always going to give my opponents more cards than me, and it's generally a bad idea to do so.  It's also a poor win condition, since I usually draw many more cards in the span of the game than my opponents (or Mana Severance), which means the best it can do is end the game in a draw.  As for Brain Freeze, it's biggest purpose in the deck lately has been to pitch to Force or imprint on Chrome Mox.  It imprinted so often, it became a running joke in my playgroup - "Chrome Mox?" "Sure.  Imprint Brain Freeze?" "Sigh.  Yeah..."

The cards I've replaced them with have been begging to be in the deck for some time.  The Archmage counters two spells and draws two cards.  It's quite an efficient package, and I've been meaning to get one in the deck, but waited to find a foil one first - what can I say?  The Fatestitcher has one job: untap Tolarian Academy.  He's nice to pitch to cards like Thirst or Frantic Search, since he's not really overwhelming as a 4 drop, but he's great as a one mana uncounterable untapper.  The Transmuter is the real gem of this round of changes, however.  As soon as it was spoiled, I knew Wizards meant her for this deck.  It almost makes me want to run Sundering Titan, to just go bonkers with the LD.  Almost.  Instead, I'll procede to make a bunch of mana, or I'll be playing Jar for one mana, or any number of other rediculous plays that you could make.  I'm toying with the idea of running Thousand Year Elixer to make her "Hastey," but I think its probably overkill.  Note that Voltaic Key has the same effect, if you can wait a turn to activate her.  We'll see how often she survives the turn to be active.  It does add a third non-Wizard creature to the deck, but I think with the addition of the extra two Wizards, it balances out.  The final card, Reliquary Tower, is there as a cute trick.  I'm not sure how good it will ever be, but it doesn't really hurt my mana, and it's a fun card.

On another note, I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates.  I've been extremely ill for the last week or so, to the point of missing my SCG writing gig as well, and I know everyone else is busy.  I'll try to keep up a bit to let you know how things progress as GP Chicago nears, and I'll probably be updating during that weekend, as well.  Keep your browsers tuned in!

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of Reliquary Tower, and the transmuter seems to be fairly busted (as in I may have to invest in a foil Stifle and Trickbind now). As for the Arch-Mage, I dig him in my build (a FAR more control-ly deck) but I think his relatively high CC might be a detriment (if, for instance, you were to draw into him mid-combo).

    As for the Fate Stitcher, I'm fairly sure he's trash in your deck. Zero haste (save from unnearthment through discarding, and you have only two discard outlets (Happless Researcher and Frantic Search)(which looks mad hot Jap Foil) that dont' include passing your turn with 8 cards in your hand.

    Additionally, ridiculous is spelled with an "i," not an "e."

    ReplyDelete